Goals of the women's movement in the 2002 - 2007 period
To raise the all-sided capacity and knowledge, and improve the material and spiritual livelihood for women; to effectuate gender equality. To cultivate the Vietnamese woman who is patriotic, knowledgable, healthy, dynamic, innovative, well-cultured, kindhearted, and attentive to social and community interests.
Tasks of the women's movement in the 2002 - 2007 period
1. To unite women of all strata, to promote Vietnamese women's inner strength and fine traditions, to carry out the movement "women actively study, creatively work, and nurture happy families", join hands in the acceleration of national industrialization and modernization, and contribute to national construction and defense.
2. To take part in formulating laws and policies on gender equality and oversee their execution. To care for and protect the legitimate rights and interests of women and children.
3. To build families into ones that are "plentiful, equal, progressive and happy".
4. To build up and develop the organizationally strong VWU, to strengthen the capacity of female cadres in all fields.
5. To enhance and broaden the friendship and cooperation with international and regional women for "equality, development and peace".
Key action programs of VWU in 2002 - 2007
1. Educating moral qualities and raising allsided capacity and qualifications for women
2. Assisting for women's economic development
3. Building plentiful, equal, proressive and happy families
4. Building up and developing the organizational strength of VWU
5. Formulating and overseeing exacution of gender equality related laws and policies
6. Extending international relations and cooperation
Main targets by VWU towards 2007
· Over 70% women in Vietnam are to access to VWU's activities in information, education/training and communication.
· At least 80% female-headed households are to benefit from VWU's assitstance in hunger eradication, poverty alleviation and economic development.
· 100% key provincial and district VWU cadres and 80% of untrained VWU managers at all levels are to be provided training on knowledge and skills.
· 60% families of VWU cadres and members are to attain "plentiful, equal, progressive and happy" families. 55% women aged 18 and above are to enrole in VWU's membership.